Our Story

How it all started...

The town of Burgaw was incorporated in 1879 by an act of the NC General Assembly.  And, on June 13 of that year, thirteen men and women presented their church letters to the Committee for the Organization of a Church in Burgaw, which had been approved by the Presbytery of Wilmington the preceding April.  The parent churches were Hopewell Presbyterian (a few miles north) and Pike Presbyterian (a few miles south).

Shortly thereafter, the members erected a wood-frame sanctuary on the southwestern corner of Walker and Fremont streets.  Our first pastor was the Rev. G. W. McMillan who served from 1879-1881.  The sanctuary was bricked-up in 1919 and a Sunday School annex added.  A new church manse, which now serves as our administrative center, was begun in 1946; the Education Building was added in 1961; and the Pavilion in 2004.

Expanding the vision...

In recent decades. the Holy Spirit has led Burgaw Presbyterian toward a major commitment to children's ministries.  

In addition to children's Sunday School and children's church, we have strengthened our childcare program, which serves the needs of families community wide.  

Our Vacation Bible School each summer serves more than 100 children plus their parents.  We have a children's violin orchestra and children's hand bells.  

Seasonal programs for children include the Advent Festival at Christmastime and Eggstravaganza at Easter.

COMMUNITY PARTNERSHIPS...

Burgaw Presbyterian partners with other area churches and ministries, pooling our funds to meet the needs of hurricane and flood victims.

We help sponsor and host community events such as auctions and pig pickin's to raise money for outreach projects such as raising homes along the Black River so they will be above flood level and providing emergency shelter for the homeless on cold winter nights.

Be a part of our story...

Join each Lord's Day as we gather for Sunday School at 9:45 a.m. & Worship at 11:00 a.m.